Health Technology Reviews
- Deliberation — the bringing together of individuals with multiple perspectives, experiences, and values to critically examine evidence, share reasons and rationales, and reach a decision on a course of action — occurs at all stages of the health technology assessment (HTA) process.
- The focus of this report is on deliberation at the committee appraisal stage of HTA.
- The objectives are to review and conceptualize the evidence and key considerations for deliberative processes at the committee appraisal stage of HTA and the available guidance for assessing the quality of the deliberative process at this stage.
- National and international practices for deliberative processes at the committee appraisal stage of HTA vary depending on contextual considerations (e.g., type of health technology and the medical condition being treated), the mandate of the HTA organization, health system and funding structures, and societal values.
- Each aspect of the deliberative appraisal process should be rooted in the values of the health system and be principled, clear, transparent, purposeful, and reasoned.