Equity in Information Retrieval
October 3, 2023
- Medical librarians and information specialists have unique evidence retrieval skills that can help health technology assessment organizations reduce bias in the evidence they use:
- They identify gaps in mainstream evidence sources and seek out alternatives that provide the perspectives of underrepresented populations.
- They create complex and efficient database searches that encompass the wide variety of synonyms and phrases used to describe health disparities and inequities.
- They use sound, logical, and efficient ways to access evidence from paywalled systems while respecting rights of ownership.
- They critically appraise information systems to determine if they emphasize biases and inequities or create new ones.